White Peas Sabzi (Safed Vatana Usal)
White peas or Safed vatana is often used to make Ragda patties ( a popular chaat item from my hometown Mumbai). The peas look quite similar to garbanzo beans (chole), except that they are smaller in size and white in color.
Here’s a yummy white peas recipe.
½ Cup white peas
½ medium size onion chopped
1 large tomato finely chopped
1 tsp oil
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
½ tsp Red chilli powder
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
5 sprigs Cilantro for garnishing
- Soak ½ cup white peas in 1.5 cups of water for atleast 5-6 hours.
- Pressure cook the peas with soaked water on medium high flame up to 2 whistles.
- Heat a medium size skillet on medium heat. Add oil and let it heat.
- Add onions to hot oil and let them cook for 6-7 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till the mix starts leaving oil. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the dry spices ( coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and salt).
- Stir and let the onion-tomato and spices cook for a copule of minutes.
- Now add the pressure cooked white peas along with the water in the cooker.
- Let it come to a boil. Do a taste test at this point add any more spices if needed.
- Cover the skillet with a tight lid and let the peas cook for 20-25 minutes on a low flame. Stir frequently, else the peas might burn.
- Above step helps to thicken the gravy.
- Shut the flame and add cilantro.
- The white peas sabzi is ready to serve. Serve with rotis, parathas ,naans or daal-rice